How Much Does A Private Investigator Cost
The most common question asked by people is, “how much does a private investigator cost?” This question is normally brought up early in our consultation. The simple answer is, “it depends on what service you require and what are you hoping to achieve?”. There are many factors that contribute to the final cost of an investigation. Please read below and then contact us for an accurate and honest consultation about your case. Do not decide on what agency to go with based on cost alone.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does a private investigator cost?
The cost of hiring a private investigator can vary greatly, with fees generally ranging from $120 per hour. Multiple factors such as the complexity of the case, the location, and the investigators experience level we packed the fees and overall cost of an investigation. We have outlined below some guidelines and approximations on what the different types of investigations might cost you.
- Surveillance – Generally surveillance rates are from $120 per hour plus a small a fee for travel and case preparation. Additional costs may be incurred for example; if you want a formal report or video evidence prepared. Other costs such as disbursements while the investigator is conducting the job will be passed on at cost.
- Electronic Bug Sweeps – This service is highly technical and is extremely expensive to upkeep and be at the forefront of this industry. We have acquired some of the best TSCM experts in the country and have access to equipment worth over $300,000. Our bug sweep experts have been formally trained, so therefore this service is an expensive one for clients. For example, a security sweep of a house would likely cost thousands of dollars. This all depends on the size of the home and location. A corporate office may cost a lot more than that. We provide this service in Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne.
- Background Checks – Background checks commonly cost between $1500-$2500.
- Locate Investigations – These investigations can cost anywhere from $495 to $1200 on average but for more difficult cases, a lot more than that as it takes time to exhaust all avenues and leads.
- Mobile Phone Forensics – We provide both forensic spyware detection and evidence recovery from mobile devices. Costs are generally $1200-$1600 for this service. We use the same forensic software that the Australian Federal Police and F.B.I use to recover evidence.
2. What factors affect the cost of a private investigator?
Type of service would be the most significant factor. The location would also be another factor along with the investigators experience and skill level.
3. Are there any additional costs associated with hiring a private investigator?
Additional course the investigators hourly rate would be expenses such as milage, airfare, hotel stays, parking etc.
4. Do you offer payment plans?
At the moment we do not offer payment plans although we are discussing this with our merchant provider as there may be a way for our clients to pay off an investigation over time.
5. Can I negotiate the costs with a private investigator?
It’s possible that we can negotiate on costs. This may be an option if it is a large job or if we can customise what we do for you. We will always try to work with out clients budgets, but there is also a limit where we will no longer be able to provide a quality investigation if you cannot afford it. We will unfortunately have to decline the job if that is the case.
How do our costs compare to others?
Spouse Spy are not the cheapest investigation company and we are not the most expensive either. Do not choose an investigation company based on cost alone. Generally the ones advertising that they are the cheapest do so for a reason. They often do not have the resources or the skills to handle your case competently.
Over the years we have built up our resources to be a leader in this field. Whether it’s access to databases, or investing in new equipment and training, we have not cut corners and that costs money.
If you are comparing our costs to others that’s ok, just make sure you have been consulted professionally and honestly. We will not match the prices of others because you cannot compare us to others. An investigation outcome can vary greatly because it was done cheap or without fewer resources. We pride ourselves on providing quality investigations to our customers.
Private Investigations can range anywhere from $300 to $100,000 or more and will mostly be dependent on how long the investigation will take.
Make your decision based on your consultation with the investigator from that company, and then consider the costs.